+ What is Mooch?
Mooch is a mobile app that lets friends share wardrobes. Think of it like an Airbnb for your closet. If you’re looking for a special weekend outfit or something for a special occasion – you can rent it on Mooch. You can, of course, buy it too.
On the other hand, if you have wardrobe pieces that you don’t wear or use anymore – you can rent them out to your friends and community and make passive income. If you’re looking to sell, you can do that to anyone in the country.
+ How is Mooch different from its competitors?
Mooch is the only platform that promotes renting from your friends and community. Mooch can also be used to share wardrobes ideas and inspirations. It also supports buying and selling.
Mooch can help minimize one time purchases for special events, trying out new outfits without breaking the bank, or peeking into your friend’s closets.
Once you have clothing listed, you can switch between displaying only, renting or selling items with ease. This allows you to convert your closet into an income maker whenever you choose to.
+ What kind of things can I rent/buy or sell on Mooch?
Share anything in your wardrobe.
- Dresses, skirts, tops, rompers, jackets/sweaters, athletic wear.
- Heels, shoes, other footwear.
- Accessories like jewelry, scarves, belts, handbags, wristlets, etc.
- Special items like business outfits, wedding dresses, maternity clothes.
+ How do I get started on Mooch?
Download the app on the Apple appstore, login with Facebook, and start browsing! Send a rent or buy request when you find something you like. [See buying section for more details]
If you’re looking to rent out or sell items, go to the list tab, input a few details, add pictures and you’re done! [See selling section for more details]
+ Where can I get the Mooch app?
Mooch is only available on iOS currently. We plan on adding Android and web as soon as possible.
+ How can I trust Renting/Buying/Selling on Mooch?
Mooch is a social network and community oriented platform. Please use good judgement and caution when active on Mooch. We aim to build a safe, trusting community and will do our best to minimize any risk. We (will) provide authenticated & secure in-app payments system which should be used for all transactions. There is also an in-app messaging feature for you to communicate and coordinate with other users. Please read the safety tips to avoid pitfalls and follow best practices.
Mooch is not responsible for any damages or lost items. Please see the “How it works” section and Terms & Conditions for more details.
+ Why Facebook?
Facebook allows you to plug into your social network and use Mooch within a network you already trust. Connecting to Facebook with show you if you have any mutual friends with users on the app.
Currently, Mooch only supports login with Facebook but we are working on adding other methods to create an account.
+ Can I Rent/Buy/Sell on Mooch if I’m not in the United States?
Yes! Mooch is available worldwide. However, in-app payments may not be available outside the US yet.
+ What should I do if someone asks me to take a transaction offline?
We highly recommend keeping transactions in the app and using the in-app payments. Keeping your transaction in-app will create transparency during the whole transaction. There is absolutely nothing we can do if a conflict arises and the transaction was not done using the Mooch app.
Mooch is not responsible for damages but based on our Terms and Conditions, we can help compensate the seller if conflicts arise. See Seller section for more details.
+ How can I report a bad listing or user?
Please report a listing or user if you find the content/user offensive or spam. Use the share button on the item detail page and email us the listing at firstname.lastname@example.org
Renting & Buying
+ What occasions or situations is Mooch useful for?
Mooch is great for occasions or specific situations such as:
- Weddings, formals, dances, dates, concerts, a night out with friends or even costume parties.
- Job interviews, maternity clothing, cultural events.
- or any other occasion you want a new or specific outfit for!
+ How does renting work?
Since peer to peer renting is a new concept in the fashion space, here is a detailed step-by-step of how it works.
- You like an item and send a rent request in the app. You can message the user to coordinate pickup, negotiate, or ask any questions (fit, condition etc.).
- When you meet in person to pick up the item, please inspect the item carefully for any damages, stains, stretching etc. You have the right to not proceed with the rental at any time prior to the confirmation. If you notice any damages but want to continue with the rental, please take pre-rental pictures of the damage as proof. If you are satisfied, confirm “Item pickup” on the app. Make sure the seller has confirmed as well. At this point, the item is your responsibility.
- When ready to return, meet the seller and let them conduct an inspection of the item. If seller is content, you both confirm “Item returned” in the app. The responsibility of the item is now back to the seller. If the seller claims any damage or rejects the return, you will be charged the full price of the item.
- In case of conflicts, the seller has the right to full compensation for the item, so please be cautious with rented items. If you would like to claim an appeal, please email email@example.com and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
+ How does buying work?
When buying an item from a user, please message the user to find out any details you would like to know prior to payment. Once you are satisfied and want to proceed, coordinate shipping details with the buyer and make payment.
+ How do I physically get the item from the seller?
This is up-to you and the seller. Please coordinate the physical transaction using the in-app messaging. We recommend you meet in a public place, unless you know the seller personally. E.g. coffee shops, college campuses, parks, common public places.
It can also help if you rent from people who are associated with the same networks as you – e.g. they are at the same college campus, workplace, social group, sorority, team etc.
+ Who can I rent or buy from?
You can rent from your friends or anyone in your community. It can also help if you rent from people who are associated with the same networks as you – e.g. they are at the same college campus, workplace, social group, sorority, team etc. We recommend renting from someone who is close by as renting is often on short notice and for a specific period of time. Please read our safety tips and practice general safety when meeting in person.
When buying you can buy from anyone in the country. Mooch does not have a native shipping option yet so you will have to coordinate shipping details with the user.
+ How do I pay for an item I rent or buy on Mooch?
Until in-app payments are available, please coordinate with the seller through our in-app messaging and remember to practice safety by referring to the Mooch safety tips!
We are working very hard to add in-app payments and will have that option available soon.
+ Do I have to ship the items or will someone come to pick them up?
As of now, mooch does not provide in-app shipping capabilities for the seller. Please coordinate pickup or shipping logistics with the buyer/renter through our in-app messaging.
+ How long can I rent something for?
You can request specific pickup/drop off dates but it is completely up to the owner of the item to modify or accept. The prices listed are per rental (not per day).
+ What condition is the item in?
All listed items are expected to be ‘like new’ or ‘good’ condition. Please ask the seller and inspect the item carefully before agreeing to rent or buy and completing the pickup confirmation.
+ What if I can’t reach the owner when trying to return the item?
If the return date has passed and you haven’t been able to get a hold of the owner, please message the owner (multiple times) and give them 24-48 hours to respond. If you still haven’t gotten a hold of them, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org asap.
+ I had a great / bad experience with the seller, what can I do?
If you had a great experience, please leave the user a good rating – this will help build trust in the community and allow future users in making better decisions.
If you had a bad experience, please write to us at email@example.com and tell us about the user and the experience and will do the best we can to rectify the situation or prevent any future bad experiences.
+ How do I rent out or sell on Mooch?
You can begin by listing an item on the app. Start by adding a few pictures and adding details to your listing. You choose a buy price and a rent price. Rent price is auto calculated based on buy price but you can change it if you’d like. Listing a buy or sell price of “$0” makes your item “Not for Sale/Rent”.
+ How does renting out work?
Since peer to peer renting is a new concept in the fashion space, here is a detailed step-by-step of how renting works for a seller.
- You receive a request in the app. You can review the request, pickup/drop-off times, counter propose, message the user to coordinate pickup, negotiate, or ask any questions (fit, condition etc.). Accept the request when you are comfortable with the arrangement.
- When you meet in person to drop-off the item, please inspect the item carefully for any damages, stains, stretching etc. You have the right to not proceed with the rental at any time prior to the confirmation. If you notice any damages but want to continue with the rental, please take pre-rental pictures of the damage as proof. If you are satisfied, confirm “Item pickup” on the app. Make sure the renter has confirmed as well. At this point, the renter is responsible for the item.
- When ready to pick up, meet the renter and conduct an inspection of the item. If you are content, you both confirm “Item returned” in the app. The responsibility of the item is now back to you. If you notice any damage or unacceptable conditions, you can rejects the return, and you will be compensated the full buy price of the item.
- In case of conflicts, the seller has the right to full compensation for the item. The renter has a right to claim an appeal. However, any abuse or violation of our Terms & conditions will result in an immediate ban from the app.
+ How can I make sure my stuff is returned in good condition?
We want you to only rent out items you feel comfortable renting out, and to people you trust. If it’s someone who you don’t know, please ask them questions about why they want to rent and only agree if you feel comfortable.
If your items are returned damaged or stained, you will be compensated the full amount (buy price) of the item.
+ What are the fees for selling on Mooch?
Our business model is very simple. For all rentals and sales, you keep 80% of the price and Mooch’s commission is 20%. Once the transaction is complete we will complete the payments and transfer the funds to your account. If you would like to host a fundraising activity or partner in any way contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
+ How can my listing sell faster?
- Make sure you provide pictures from multiple angles, in good lighting, and avoid stock photos.
- Keep the prices reasonable, especially for rentals. Recommended rental price is 20-30% of buy price.
- Write a detailed description with fit, condition, location, pickup details etc.
- Turn on “Notifications” so you are aware of any new requests or messages from users.
+ How do I ship items I just sold?
When you make a sale, you will see the buyer’s address in app. Please use that to estimate shipping expenses and coordinate with the buyer. We are working hard to implement an in-app shipping feature to provide this functionality in the future.
+ What Payment methods does Mooch support?
Currently, we do not support in-app payments. This feature will be implemented very soon. Stay tuned!
- When going to pickup and return an item for rental or purchase be sure to pick a public place.
Exchange cash only if in-app purchases are unavailable at the time.
You are not obligated to rent or purchase an item if you change your mind after seeing the condition.
- You should not pressure a user to rent or buy your item if they are not fully satisfied with the condition.
- Please remember – if you damage or stain a rented item you may be charged up to 100% of the item value.
- If a renter damages or stains your item you have the right to reject a return and request up to 100% of the item value.
- Always return rented items in the best condition possible.
- Beware of knock-off brands!